Wednesday, August 10, 2011

it is a long way....

I have been away from blogging for long and has been a long way also for me since the last post, a long way also both mentally and physically.

to avoid typing three page of training summary, race reports and various consideration, I try to make a bullet-style summary


  • June to July 19th: I really enter into a good groove of training. Albeit a torrid summer, I keep a good weekly mileage of around 100km and my form is coming up. Polar Running Index getting close to 80 and CTL in SportTrack getting closer to 100 (these data for data maniac runners like myself)
  • July 10th: 10K race. I arrive 2nd overall in a time of 35'15". On that course and during the summer, my PB was 35'04" in 2008, so I really get the feeling that I am getting closer to the same peaks touched in 2008. Just a small concerns about my left foot which is getting painful again around the sesamoidis like in April 
  • July 14th: board the plane for a nice family holiday in Poland. I am salivating to the idea of daily runs in the polish forests during a chilly morning...
  • July 19th: I go for a long run and it happens the unpredictable: after 15km of easy running, my right hamstring completely seizes and become like a piece of wood. No any alert, no any understandable causes (apart from weakness of the glutes, core, etc). Stranded in the middle of the polish countryside, I have also to walk (yes... walk home, I could not even jog) for 8-10km...
  • end July: I am down to jog 6km daily at 5'30" pace. My hamstring loosening up very slowly
  • now: back in HK I can go under the hands of my PT and feel much better, but it is like starting over again...
Current status:
- right hamstring and glutes: not get back yet full range of motion. I feel tired even after running 10k at much more modest pace than before the injury. Work with PT and foam roller/ball/stick, whatever. I hope that in 15 days I could be running again normally
- form is seriously down... my Polar Running Index dropped to around 70...
- left foot: painful like hell after every run despite the forced rest. Already booked an appointment with the ortho doctor (cortisone shot seems unavoidable...). This is just a short term fix, I am still wondering what could be a real solution (note: I wear orthotics...do not send me to a podiatrist, I have 4 pairs of orthotics from 4 different podiatrist). Maybe is a pelvis alignment problem or maybe the hamstring problems on the right side are putting too much strain on the left side...
- Berlin Marathon: well.. maybe another year. I doubt I can celebrate my 42nd birthday, running 42km... 
- mental side: I really want to give running a final serious effort for a couple of years, but it seems a bit pointless. After 40, my body is simply losing the wheels...
Now I will seriously try to work on core, glutes strength, etc, but if it does not work, it is probably time to give myself to lawn bowl... anyway the morale is underwater...

Positive thought: give a read to Lauren Fleshman's blog and her amazing turnaround from injury to DL win (my cynical side reminds me that I am several years older and I do not have Nike to support the rehab..)

Question to the readers:
- does anybody know a serious place where they can perform a running assessment (using treadmill and foot lead measurement, etc) ?
I am going to South England soon for work, also Veneto region in Italy is ok or, closer to home, Hong Kong or Singapore...
(in HK, most places that I know are really poorly equipped)

4 comments:

RICK'S RUNNING said...

Hi Roberto,
Sorry to hear about your injury problems.
You could check out Stride UK
http://www.strideuk.com/Why.html
They were featured on Marathon Talk and they do full biomechanical Analysis and are in Sussex UK
Phone 01273 711399
Hope this helps, got injuried myself this summer [ only a calf tear] after having great form, now back to square one!
So know how it feels.
Don't give up, keep fighting!
I wonder if your shoe inserts are causing your problems?
Maybe you can work at increasing the strength in your feet with basic foot exercises, then ditch the inserts!
If you think about it your foot arches need to be able to compress to help absorb the shock and impact fr4om the road, the inserts could be making your feet rigid and so transmitting the shock up your body!
Rick

46 said...

Hi Roberto,
nowadays, it seems barefoot running is getting lot of attention. Maybe that can strengths your legs the right way…
Have you tried that ? maybe fivefingers, vivobarefoots or the new balance Minimus Road/Trail shoes.

AC

46 said...

Hi Roberto,
nowadays, it seems barefoot running is getting lot of attention. Maybe that can strengths your legs the right way…
Have you tried that ? maybe fivefingers, vivobarefoots or the new balance Minimus Road/Trail shoes.

AC

by7 said...

thanks for the wishes

@ Nick: thanks for the address. It really seems the right place for me to visit and only 1hr drive from Havant

@46:
I am already totally sold on the concept of "less is better".
Maybe barefoot is too extreme, but running in light trainers/racing flat is my standard, but with fitted orthotics.

Now I am really trying hard to understand if the orthotics are really worthy to wear or not.
There is a kind of trade-off because the insole obviously control the inward forces generated by the shape of my legs, but at the same time I believe that they might affect a smooth transition of the foot and eventually further aggravate the heel striding...