Thursday, August 5, 2010

behind schedule... (and Polar SW Exertion agrees)

Last night I was browsing my 2008 training  log and I could avoid noticing the huge difference in volume/intensity compared to my recent days.
I really need to crank up my training...

In early August 2008 I was already cranking 100km a week with really big workouts and long runs. Now I am still just jogging around and with only shorter workout....

A good comparison is given using the "Exertion" function in the Polar PT5 SW.
It is probably one of the most useful function of the Polar SW.

at first, it is very important to set-up the function correctly.
There are pre-set parameters, but I think it is worthy to change them.
Personally I followed the "Intensity factor" listed by Jack Daniels in his book at page 39.
I divided my HR training range in bands associated with standard training effort
(Recovery / Easy / Marathon Effort / LT / Vo2 ) and give them a intensity score according to the mentioned page (well, Daniels' table gives point by 1 bpm division, so I took a mid level for each effort band).

In the Polar PPT5 menu, you search for OPTION/ PERSON PROPERTIES / SPORT ZONES / EDIT and set-up the parameters.
Then it becomes a breeze to monitor the training load and also the breakdown of the training into different effort level...
It is much more effective as the pure check of mileage because you have a clear measure of the internal load on the body.

In June 2008, I was doing a consistent 400 points per week and reaching 600 points in August.
Now in 2010 I just barely touched 400 points for a single week...
So huge work ahead...I really need to build up momentum and motivation...


It does not help that the temperature/humidity outside is simply awful...  28C with 85/90% Rh in the early morning and then 34C-35C with 70%Rh on daytime...

From Run back by 7

1 comment:

Sling Runner said...

Another great data analysis (saw a couple chart of yours in Runners Edge book).

Hmm.. in addition to compare training intensity & density, I think the data should be very useful to detect over-training.