Thursday, April 15, 2010
up and downs
my mid-week summary...
(probably I should do like most of the other running blogs which are offering a more logical end-of-week summary, but at present I do not keep any real mileage or effort log... )
- SATURDAY: Bike. A "reality check".... We were rehearsing the Team Time trial with my club for the incoming race and I really got TRASHED... those guys are really far better than my level..
We hit a medium-gradient climb after 7km of flat-out effort and while I usually climb up at 20-22kmh (which is already quite good, since most of cyclists would do 16kmh there), we were going up at 26kmh and I simply got dropped...
I always train alone so I do not have any capability to switch gears if someone else push the pace beyond my limits... anyway it was a moral blow...
- SUN: mentally recovering from yesterday's trashing....I did not want to train
- MON (Hong Kong): went for a run, 45' @ good pace
- TUE (Dongguan): cycling... I took the X-cross bike for the first time in a while and I did not feel too confortable on the saddle.. I headed for the long climb in the forest, but whatever the reason/excuse (poor sleep, very hot and humid, bad position on the bike), I felt like crap... after 20' climb, I gave up and turn back (total 1h15')
- lunch time: 20' easy run on the treadmill, tested new "treadmill shoes"
- WED (Hong Kong): strong monsoon wind and rain. Gave up immediately the idea of cycling and went instead for a nice run (45' @4'15" pace with steep climb)
- THU (Dongguan): took my road bike over here... raining and chilly temperature. I put my nose out of the building in the early morning and realized that I did not need to be Macho-man, so I come back and worse winter jacket, shoe cover and gloves... very smart idea because I got 1h30' of rain.. good workout, with 8x3' fast with 2' recovery + 4/5 sprints. It was quite pleasant that I could keep 40-42kmh on the flat
Sunday I will be racing in the usual local criterium (18km...)
I almost made up my mind that after May 1st and the "Tour of Hong Kong", I will definitely switch to running mode.
Probably next week I will decide if/when to tackle the next marathon and resume serious running training.
Labels: Weekly Summary