Sunday, December 7, 2008

Done... With 12km of "via crucis"

Tomorrow a better report with pics, etc. Now in short:

I run at 4'00"/km pace until 30km. The calf was very tight so I used "shuffling" style and organically I felt easy, even if I was running in a very weird style for me. I was running with 1 leg and carrying the other...
10k in 39'30"
HM in 1h23'40"
30k in 1h59'
Than it was total collapse....
The calf locked and also I felt sickness from the huge Voltaren doses and made a long toilet break. I was crippling and jogged to the end in 2h55 or something like that (I did not care... Just happy to reach the end..). The last 12k was horrendous.
I saw many many Pro runners bouncing back for going out hard in such weather.
A pack of Russian women caught me at 10k and they were clocking 3'50" pace (I did not follow). At 25K I picked them up because they were totally done by the heat.

More details tomorrow (I do not know who is the winner, etc)...

3 comments:

Sling Runner said...

by7,

Good effort considering the injury.

Luke Kibte (Osaka World Marathon Champ) won it in 2:13 and broke the course record. There is early news here:

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Sport/Story/STIStory_311609.html

RICK'S RUNNING said...

YOU SHOWED REAL COURAGE IN DIFFICULT CIRCUMSTANCES!

Thomas said...

I applaud your courage to go out at that pace even though you knew your calf would not last for 42 km. Congratulations on dragging yourself all the way to the finish!